225g (8oz) butter
225g (8oz) caster sugar
4 eggs beaten
225g (8oz) self-raising flour
Grated rind and juice of 1 large Lemon
225g (8oz) Carrots Peeled and finely grated
100g (4oz) ground almonds or finely chopped walnuts
15ml ( 1 tbsp) Kirsch ( Optional )
75g (3oz) full fat soft cheese
50g (2oz) icing sugar
Shredded orange rind to decorate.
- Grease a 20-cm (8-inch) round cake tin. Line with grease proof paper
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until pale and fluffy, add
the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour with the lemon rind and juice, reserving 5ml ( 1 tsp) of juice.
- Stir in carrots, almonds and (kirsch if using). Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the oven at 180deg C (350F ) Gas Mark 4 for 1 ½ hours until well risen and golden brown or until a fine warmed skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Check after
1 ¼ hours. Cover with foil if over browning.
- Turn onto a wire rack and leave to cool for about 2 hrs. Preferably keep the cake until the following day before icing and serving.
To Make Icing topping
- To make icing. Put the cream cheese, reserved lemon juice and the icing sugar into a bowl and beat until soft and creamy.
- Spread over the top of the cake using a palette knife to swirl icing. Decorate with shredded orange rind.
This the recipe I use and its soft and moist and rich and yummy… Photo of my own Cake ..